Although this blog was created after the first of the dates given below, you may wish to retain the information for the future anniversaries and to look out for prayers and resources at those times.
The following information comes from the Bishops’ Conference Liturgy Office:
At the Easter meeting 2014 of the Bishops’ Conference the following resolution was agreed:
“To mark the centenary of the First World War and remember all those who lost their lives in the conflict, the bishops of England and Wales encourage the Catholic community to participate in local civic or ecumenical celebrations.
The bishops will celebrate Requiem Masses in their Cathedrals on or near the six key dates which have been identified as part of the anniversary celebrations.
- Monday 4th August 2014 — the centenary of entry of the British Empire to the War
- Saturday 25th April 2015 — the Gallipoli campaign
- Tuesday 31st May/ Wednesday 1st June 2016 — the Battle of Jutland, commemorating the war at sea
- Friday 1st July 2016 — the Battle of the Somme
- Monday 31st July 2017 — the start of the 3rd Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele)
- Sunday 11th November 2018 — Armistice Day
Catholic parishes are asked to mark these important anniversaries on the nearest Sunday by offering Mass for all those who died and to pray in the intercessions for those currently serving in the armed forces, and for peace.”
The Joint Liturgical Group of Great Britain has information about how the centenary is being marked in Wales and Scotland, a selection of Collect prayers and links to other resources.